Tuesday 6 December 2011

An Introduction to the Georges of Roper

Tuesday nights really are an event at the Georges of Roper.

My uncle and I often joke about the possibility of our gatherings being filmed and used as the latest reality TV show. We speak about the issue in the most nonchalant manner, but I know deep down we both really think we could pull the ratings for the likes of channel 10.

So what makes Tuesday nights so special?

It is has almost become some sort of sacred, religious holiday for my mother, in which my husband Khoa and I make the 5 minute pilgrimage to my parents house for dinner. Although it occurs most weeks, it is as though millenniums have passed since our last visit and they must fill us in on the day to day details on what has happened during our absence.

I LOVE hearing their stories on the events of the day which would be insignificant to some, but a world of problems to my parents. From writing notes to the owner of the suspicious car parked up the street, to people illegally adding to their pile of hard rubbish waiting to be collected by the council, we hear about all the pressing issues of the Eastern Suburbs.

My personal favourite part is hearing Andy's random fact of the week.

I believe the most recent fact was the average gestational period for a donkey. He was about 6 months over the correct answer but we don't let the finer details bother us.

If it is possible to begin losing hearing at around 90-95 decibels (measuring noise levels), then the frequency coming out of Roper must surely consistently sit at around 80 decibels. Around the time Khoa and I were planning our wedding, I dare say we peaked to 115 decibels which is equivalent to the likes of a sandblaster or rock concert.

Ironically, the yelling genuinely is unintentional half the time and occurs over the most trivial conversations:

Georgina: Mum, do you have any coke?
Jane: Coke, why do you want coke? I have Solo, you like solo. Have solo.
Georgina: Because I feel like coke. I don't like Solo, never have. I'll have coke.
Jane:  What do you mean you don't like Solo? I bought 2 boxes of Solo because you like Solo.
Just have Solo.
Georgina: Mum, I seriously don't like Solo, Khoa does. I would like coke. Please. Do you have someee?
(Screaming Begins Here)
Jane: ANDREEWWWWW. GOOO DOWNSTAIRS AND GET GEORGINA COKEEE.
Andrew: We dont have coke love, we only have solo.
Jane: WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE HAVE NO COKE? YES WE DO DOWNSTAIRS!
Andrew: Ok love.
Georgina: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT, YOU DON'T HAVE ANY..
(Andrew goes downstairs, returns empty handed)
Jane: DID YOU GET THE COKE ANDREW?
Andrew: We don't have any love.
Jane: YES WE DO DOWNSTAIRS!!
Georgina: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT, YOU DON'T HAVE ANY..
Andrew: I went downstairs, there isn't any. We only have ginger ale and solo.
Jane: NO ANDREW YOU ARE WRONG. GO DOWNSTAIRS AND GET COKE.
Andrew: ok love.
Georgina: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT, YOU DON'T HAVE ANY..
(Andrew goes back downstairs and sure enough still no coke, returns upstairs.)
Jane: DID YOU GET IT ANDREW? DID YOU GET THE COKE?
Andrew: I can't find it, it isn't there...
Georgina: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT, YOU DON'T HAVE ANY..

And it continues.....

I could go on for hours about Tuesdays, but for now will summarise to say I will never let myself take my amazing family for granted. My parents are loving and caring albeit slightly dysfunctional, but I cherish every minute I spend with them.

Until the next memoRANDOM,

George

No comments:

Post a Comment